Welcome back to another Fresh Face Designer post hosted by Izzy Anderson. This week Izzy shows you how to use a sketch to create a card. Creating a sketch is a wonderful way to boost your creativity. Here is her post:

Outside Inspiration
Ever since I started scrapbooking, I have become more observant of images, graphics and color combinations in the world around me. For today’s blog post, I am going to show how I used outside inspiration from posters and graphics for card design.
I was browsing over at Pinterest last week and saw this poster of a tower with a verse that meant a lot to me. The graphics made me think immediately of Echo Park’s castle sticker on the Splash elements sheet. I thought the sticker and verse would combine to make a perfect card for someone going through a tough time.
 
 
I designed this card as a lift-the-flap. I wanted to use pleasing, neutral papers to support the verse and card theme. I love the papers of "Victoria Gardens." They make me swoon!
 
 
Continue reading for Izzy's instructions and additional project!
 
To make the card, I started with the castle sticker, since that was the main design element. The sticker already had a small flag at the top but I wanted to add another flag to give a pop of color. I used a match stick as my flagpole and stapled on a flag sticker from the elements sheet of "Metropolitan Dots and Stripes." I added some alphas above the flags and on the castle to spell the main sentiment. Under the flap, I whitewashed the patterned paper with some acrylic paint to mute the pattern a bit, then used a journaling card and hand-wrote the rest of the verse. To finish, I sewed around the journaling card to give the quote a simple frame.
 
 
Strong Tower lift the flap card
Echo Park supplies:
Victoria Gardens - Sunshine pp, Blooming Blossoms pp, journaling cards (inside sentiment), alphas (lift)
Metro Dots - element sticker sheet
Splash - element sticker (castle)
Playground - alphas (white)
Summer Days - alphas (blue)
Wintertime - alphas (brown)
 
Other supplies:
cardstock, zig pen, Ranger ink
Inspiration: poster with inspiring quote (Pinterest)
 
The next card was inspired by a movie poster for a George Clooney movie. Who wouldn’t be inspired by George Clooney?! I loved the heart shape clouds and the sparse design of this poster for the movie, Up in the Air.
 
 
For this card, I used papers from "Happy Days" and stickers from "Summer Days." I used the same whitewashing technique here as with the Tower card to mute the pattern of the paper a bit. This gave me a more neutral background so the clouds and bike would pop. I used heart punches to make the clouds then sewed them on the card to make them look a bit puffy. The sun sticker was from "Splash." It had a sentiment that didn’t fit the card, so I covered the wording by adding a plain yellow circle on top and inking the edges orange. The grass and bike stickers came from "Summer Days." I wrote the sentiment underneath using alphas from "Splash" and "Happy Days."
 
I Really Bike You Card
Echo Park supplies:
Happy Days: border strip; blue alphas
Country Drive: Little ladies pp; bees knees pp
Splash: sun sticker, orange alphas
Summer Days: element stickers (bicycle, grass)
 
Other supplies:
American Crafts - cardstock (blank notecard)
Marvy Uchida - heart punches
Paint - Ranger
Mist - Tattered Angels
Ink - Ranger
Inspiration: George Clooney movie poster, Up in the Air (Pinterest)
 
Have you used outside inspiration to guide your scrapbook or card designs? Please share a link to your Echo Park project below.
 
Join us next week for Izzy's next installment in our Fresh Face Designer post! Looking to share your own inspiration. Be sure to enter our monthly Fresh Face Design contest (see details on side bar).

14 comments:

  1. gravatar

    What great cards! They are really nice! And I love the inside of the one card a lot! :)

    September 13, 2011 at 6:21 AM
  2. gravatar

    Love This cards!!!!!!!!

    September 13, 2011 at 6:23 AM
  3. gravatar

    These are awesome! I loveeeeeee the fun and bright happy colors and loving the bike on that second one! :):):):):):):):):):):)

    September 13, 2011 at 6:56 AM
  4. gravatar

    Girl you are always doing such a fabulous job with Echo Park goodies. Congrats on making the GDT, you totally deserve it!!!! This card is a very cute creation!!!!!

    September 13, 2011 at 8:43 AM
  5. gravatar

    So cool to see where you get your inspiration Izzy!! The castle card is wonderful, and I LOVE the heart clouds and fun colors on the "bike" card!! Thanks again for another awesome post!

    September 13, 2011 at 8:44 AM
  6. gravatar

    What fantastic cards Izzy!

    September 13, 2011 at 9:56 AM
  7. Anonymous
    Said

    gravatar

    These cards are gorgeous and I love the way she showed the inspiration source and the inside of the card. I always want to see the cards inside!

    September 13, 2011 at 10:17 AM
  8. gravatar

    Izzy! I am so proud to be your friend! These cards are amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your inspiration and how you made them! Just awesome!!!!!!!

    September 13, 2011 at 3:13 PM
  9. gravatar

    I love these! Beautiful cards and so interesting to see what inspired them.

    September 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM
  10. gravatar

    Awesome job on these, Izzy!!

    September 13, 2011 at 8:12 PM
  11. Unknown
    Said

    gravatar

    Another couple of adorable cards Izzy!!!

    September 14, 2011 at 2:23 AM
  12. gravatar

    Izzy you are so observant! I do love those heart clouds. Both of your cards are just so creative!!

    September 14, 2011 at 6:14 AM
  13. Anonymous
    Said

    gravatar

    love these:) you are so stinkin'smart!

    September 14, 2011 at 6:11 PM
  14. Tabbetha
    Said

    gravatar

    Izzy! Arent you just the clever one!! I love how you put the twist on the sentiments!! These cards are so happy and cheerful. I love love love the bike card!!! The clouds are adorable! Great work with EP!! You rock and so do those pps!

    September 16, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Post a Comment